Friday, January 13, 2017

Quick Food Fix: Gnocchi in Red Sauce: Instant Pot

Its been a while since I have written about the Vegetarian cooking in my new kitchen gadget Instant Pot.

Now before I give an update, I have to talk about the rage this tool has caused.

There are FB groups dedicated to cooking with IP, be in Indian Cooking, or any Recipes. There are daily conversations which fill my FB stream, there are love letters written to IP, some break up letters, some thanking messages to the IP, pictures of the IP on their trip like it’s their child, there are squabbles about whose recipe it originally was, plagiarism and oh my gosh!!!

Seriously? It's like a daily soap opera on cooking in IP

May be I will get banned/ ousted from said groups for writing this post, but oh well!

Now rant over and back to IP in my house, its used quiet often.

Instant Pot is really nice, I will give it that. I of course did buy mine when friends of mine kept raving about it and saying how it simplified the rush evening’s food wise. I was convinced since friends of mine are like-headed and I trust their recommendations.

What have I cooked: I have finally done the 'Pot In Pot' a vegetable stew at the bottom and lentils getting boiled on top. So truly used the IP for cooking multiple things at the same time. I have made Green Curry, Quinoa Pulaav, Butternut squash soup, rajma, daals and just last night the red sauce for the Gnocchi.

I must add, the red sauce to cook, only took 6 minutes, so prep time of 10 minutes and cook time of 6 minutes, is freaking awesome to have a wholesome meal under 20 minutes!!! Loved it!

But nope, not writing a love letter to IP.

So here is the recipe for the Quick fix IP Recipe

Ingredients:
Ready made Gnocchi - I used the egg less Costco one, delicious
Tomatoes: 3
Baby Carrots: 6-10
Onion: 1 cup chopped finely
Garlic: 2 cloves chopped finely
Zucchini: 1/2 cup chopped

Herbs:
Oregano - 2 tsp
Salt, Pepper,Chili flakes - per taste

Optional Additions:
Ready made Pesto Sauce: 2 tsp
Shredded Cheese: 1/2 cup

Process:
1. Boil gnocchi on stove top per package instructions
2. In IP, on Low Saute Mode: Add butter, onions, garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
3. Add herbs to the IP and sauté
4. Puree the carrots and tomatoes together.
5. Add the puree and the zucchini to the IP now.
6. Close the IP, Manual: 5 minutes, low pressure.
7. Meanwhile, strain the gnocchi and have it ready to be added to sauce
8. When IP 5 minutes is complete: Vent and open. Add the optional additions and Gnocchi.

TaDa!! Enjoy! we gobbled up the Gnocchi with warm toasted bread before we could take the pictures!

But dinner was DELICIOUS and really quick.
Picture: Borrowed from Internet, however mine looked really similar


Note: If you are making the sauce on stove top and not Instant Pot, after step 5, stir the sauce for 10-15 minutes on medium flame till ready.

However you make the above recipe, enjoy and remember a gadget is something that makes your life simpler.

So enjoy it and the simplicity of it, but writing love letters is a bit much!





No comments: